RequirementsYour attendance and participation in class is required and roll will be taken. Class attendance will not be graded per se, but excessive absences may lead to reduction in grades and may result in your exclusion from the class.
Aside from being required by the ABA, class attendance is critical to your learning the material in the assigned readings as well as other aspects of the course.
PreparationYou should be prepared for class. Preparation is important for at least five reasons:
- Preparation will help you learn the materials
- Preparation will make class time and learning more productive for everyone
- Preparation will help class run more smoothly
- Preparation is more fair to your classmates who have prepared
- Preparation is necessary to fulfill the class participation requirement
However, there may be times when you are unprepared, and you should notify me of such times. You should let me know whether:
A. You are not prepared to discuss the readings
B. You are not prepared to discuss anything
I will respect your notification regarding preparation, but excessive lack of preparedness will affect your grade.
Class PresentationMost classes will be conducted using the Socratic method, though some material will be better learned through lecture. We will be discussing the cases in your case book, as well as problems that arise from those cases.
I will usually select which students to call on during class, though I may occasionally ask for volunteers.